Steeplechase3k's random thoughts

My blog of random thoughts and observations. These will be about: my sports teams (Portland Timbers, Boston Red Sox, Portland TrailBlazers, New England Patriots), the Timbers Army (and indoor soccer team, bowling team, gatherings, etc.), and whatever else I find myself doing...

Friday, January 11, 2008

New Turf at PGE!!!

It's time for celebration among everyone that plays in, or goes to games in PGE park.

Kerry Eggers with the note (see the last paragraph): Tribune Article

The craptacular turf is finally getting replaced! NeXturf wasn't a bad surface when it was first installed, but it had long since been worn out.

My guess is that the Timbers will have to play with some brown patches of turf. I believe that the OSU Beavers field is all FieldTurf, with the baselines in brown. However the problem for the Timbers is that the pitchers mound and home plate area have to be dirt. I think that they will continue to remove the mound (as they have in the past), and that one or both of the fields will be slightly re positioned to make sure that the home plate circle is not on the football pitch. Again, this is just a guess...

Edit:

Old turf is on it's way out!

I watched for about half an hour as they removed the old turf. As I got there they were most of the way through rolling up one long stip of turf. All the old lines were clearly visable under the turf. I guess that's whay they say that most cleanings only push the dirt down into a carpet pad.



Wokers duct tape the roll closed:



They had made good progress, it looks to me like they will be finished pulling up the turf tomorrow, however with the lights they could work all night:





They pulled a pole of somesort along under the stip of turf pealing it off like those wire cheese slicers.




Bigger versions of the pictures are available on my photobucket page.


Also some from Donald (DB)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:19 PM , Blogger steeplechase3k said...

I was wrong about the brown patches, aparently it is now possible to swap out sections, so we should have a sold green pitch!

 
At 10:07 PM , Blogger steeplechase3k said...

Another note: (I feel odd making 2 replies in a row to my own blog)

I plan to stop by every other day or so to post updates on the progress. According to the Field urf Web site they have to lay permiable asphalt down which is quite a bit of work from what I undestand. It requires several feet of gravel under the asphalt, so it will be a while before the turf is in, but I plan to keep this blog updated...

 
At 4:30 PM , Blogger steeplechase3k said...

I swung by the park again today, they weren't working while I was there, but the turf is just about all gone, there were a few small patches in the middle that looked like they didn't pull up like the rest of it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home