Steeplechase3k's random thoughts

My blog of random thoughts and observations. These will be about: my sports teams (Portland Timbers, Boston Red Sox, Portland TrailBlazers, New England Patriots), the Timbers Army (and indoor soccer team, bowling team, gatherings, etc.), and whatever else I find myself doing...

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Timber Jim

Today Timber Jim announced his retirement as mascot of the Portland Timbers. Jim was more than just a mascot, he was a friend of the club, and it's fans.

This was a day I knew was coming, but I have to admit I still teared up a little bit when I read the news while at work. It's really sad to think that we'll never see this again:


There have been games where Jim wasn't around, like the match against Sunderland, but it will still be very different to be in the park and not hear the roar of Jim's chainsaw.

It's hard for me to really put into words what Jim means to me. Timber Jim has been a constant as long as I have been part of the Timbers Army. I remember the first time I was with the TA outside of PGE Park. There was a Timbers road game on FSC and we met at McFaddens. Jim was there shaking hands and handing out copies of the Timbers magazine.

Since then it has been a pleasure to get to know a wonderful man who loves his family and friends deeply. In 2004 we mourned with Jim the loss of his daughter.
I still get tears in my eyes most of the times that we sing "You are my Sunshine." Jim saw my love for Habitat for Humanity, and has responded by giving his own money, and donating money that we had raised for his granddaughter's trust.

There will be a celebration of Jim's dedication to the PTFC on April 17, at the home opener. Be there.






Also a quick note about the new turf: I swung by the park on Wednesday night and the rolls of new turf were neatly stacked on the south end of the stadium along with several large bags of what I assume was the rubber infill. I'll see if I can stop by in the next few days to get some pictures of the continuing work.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:46 AM , Blogger steeplechase3k said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home