Steeplechase3k's random thoughts

My blog of random thoughts and observations. These will be about: my sports teams (Portland Timbers, Boston Red Sox, Portland TrailBlazers, New England Patriots), the Timbers Army (and indoor soccer team, bowling team, gatherings, etc.), and whatever else I find myself doing...

Friday, January 25, 2008

New turf work continues

Workers have started to install the new turf at PGE Park, and it looks really nice. They have started at the north end of the park. As I watched the worker sewed two of the long pieces of turf together.

One interesting thing I noticed after watching this work and the removal of the old turf was that the old turf was run diagonally to the pitch. The new turf is laid down straight across the pitch. I'm wondering if that is because the old turf had more noticeable seams and they didn't want them running across the pitch, and if the lines run with the direction of a baseball that has been hit there is less chance of a bad bounce, but with the new turn the seams are hidden under the rubber infill. Who knows...

Workers lay out the next strip of turf:



Rolls of turf, and bags of the infill mixture:



Workers sew the strips together:





With the news of Timber Jim retiring, I hope a banner is added here for him.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home