Steeplechase3k's random thoughts

My blog of random thoughts and observations. These will be about: my sports teams (Portland Timbers, Boston Red Sox, Portland TrailBlazers, New England Patriots), the Timbers Army (and indoor soccer team, bowling team, gatherings, etc.), and whatever else I find myself doing...

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hillsdale Brewfest!

I spent 6 hours today at the McMenamins Hillsdale Brewfest, also known at the Battle of the Belt. Every year McMenamins brewers from all over the Kingdom compete against each other for the honor of providing the McMenamins beer for the Oregon Brewers Festival the following summer.

Past winners were:
1995: Old Bushwacker Barley Wine - Bart Hance - Westlinn
1996: Chewbaccan Strout - Mike Hougan - Lighthouse
1997: Brahmamama Pale - Clay P. Riley - LSD
1998: Jabba the Porter - Jon Greene -Hillsdale
1999: Reincarnation Pale - A. Collins & C. Culla - Crystal Brewery
2000: Armadillo IPA - Vince Howell - Highland
2001: Beltfester Lager - B. Hance & A. Gonzalez - CPR Brewery
2002: Stronghold Imperial Stout - Jason McAdam - Hillsdale
2003: Hoot to the head - Organic Oatmeal Stout - Greg Balch - Hillsdale
2004: Big Bully - Organic IPA - Greg Balch - Hillsdale
2005: Royal Oil Oatmeal Stout - Mike White - Fulton
2006: White Lighting Whiskey Stout - T. Proctor & B. Riely - Concordia
2007: No Mas Lento IPA - Chris Haslett - Fulton


There wer 20 different brews, ranging from fantastic, to ones I could barely get down (but hey, beer is beer).

Although I don't really like IPAs I am hoping that an IPA wins theis year. that brew is Rose City 'Til I DiePA, a brewed by a fellow TA.

Some pictures:
First 10 brews:
Yellow platter

Sectons 10 brews:
Orange Platter

The belts:
The Belts

Obi also did some live blogging : http://hesaidwhatagain.blogspot.com/2008/02/strange-brew-live.html

Edit:
The Winner will be anounced at 4pm at the Back Stage Bar at the Bagdad Theater and Pub, on Wednesday Feburary 12. I plan to be there and will post the results.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:03 PM , Blogger steeplechase3k said...

Rose City 'Til I DiePA didn't win, the Hillsdale beer did.

It was Madmad Jacks, a beer that I really didn't like very much, it was really strange tasting.

RCTIDPA did take second place which is nice I guess, but it would have been really nice to ahve RCTIDPA at the supper beer fest.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home