Steeplechase3k's random thoughts

My blog of random thoughts and observations. These will be about: my sports teams (Portland Timbers, Boston Red Sox, Portland TrailBlazers, New England Patriots), the Timbers Army (and indoor soccer team, bowling team, gatherings, etc.), and whatever else I find myself doing...

Friday, February 01, 2008

Sports Upadate!

A bit about what's going on in my non-Timbers sports world...

--Blazers: Brandon Roy was named as a reserve to the NBA All-Star team. I'm really happy for Roy, he has shown again and again this season that he is a rising star. Twice the conference player of the month, leading numerous amazing comebacks. Plus he's really humble. He said "It's extremely humbling," Roy said. "To be an All-Star in my second season; I still haven't found the words to explain how I feel right now. I'm nervous about being around all those guys on the same team. Just sitting there with Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan and Dirk; these are guys that I've watched playing the NBA Finals, and guys I've cheered for. And now I'm going to be sitting in the same locker room as a teammate for a day. It's humbling. I'm nervous. . . . I might not speak." (link) It is very refreshing to see a star that is so down to earth and humble.

--Red Sox: The Red Sox did not land the biggest prize of the off-season trade market in Johan Santana, as the Mets reached a deal with the Twins for the left-hander. As wonderful as it would have been to have a starting rotation of Beckett, Santana, Matsuzaka, and Schilling in 2008, and then Beckett, Santana, Matsuzaka, Buchholz, in years to come, I think it would have cost too much in terms of both prospects, and future salary. The word it Santana is going to cost over $20 million a year, and even for a team with as large a payroll as the Red Sox that could still limit flexibility in a few years. Plus, because he's from Oregon I didn't want the Red Sox to trade away Jacoby Ellsburry, I think he's going to really surprise some people this year.

--Patriots: the Patriots are in the Super Bowl again. I fully admit to being somewhat of a fair-weather Pats fan (but they are the only NFL team I'll ever root for), but the weather has been pretty darn fair lately. The Patriots put perfection on the line on Sunday, and aim to be the only team to go 19-0 in a season.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:36 PM , Blogger steeplechase3k said...

Brandon Roy responds to being named an all-star with his first Tripple Double tonight against the Knicks.

Congratulation Brandon!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home